Phone Call subtitles and translations made easy 🔡
08/03/2022 | Skype Blogs | Skype Universal Translator
NOTE: Skype now supports Ukrainian language on Skype calls and phone calls through Skype. Use this free call captioning and translation feature to quickly communicate with anyone. Full list of languages here: Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, German, Greek, English (UK), English (US), Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Mexico), Estonian, Finnish, French (Canada), French (France), Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Latvian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal), Portuguese (Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese.
With Skype’s Universal Translator feature, you can have a seamless conversation with real time translation in 42 different languages. Call on Skype to try out call subtitles or make a regular phone call with subtitles. For free!
This means that language is no longer a barrier when it comes to communicating with family, friends, clients and colleagues around the world.
How to set it up:
Getting started with Skype Universal Translator on your Skype Phone Calls - calling any phone number through Skype! It's enabled on the lates Skype client (8.81 - get your update now)
Here’s how to turn on phone call translation 📲:
1. Make phone call through Skype
2. Click “Translate this call” option (above microphone, and hang up buttons).
3. Select spoken languages for you and phone call participant. Translation will start automatically.
Here's how to enable subtitles during a Skype call
1. In call navigate to right bottom corner and press 3 dots …
2. Select “Turn subtitles on”
3. At top of the screen select target language
Here’s how to turn on chat translation:
1. On the Chats, right click on the contact you want to have a translated conversation with. Select View Profile.
2. Click Send Translation Request on their profile.
3. Your contact will get a notification asking if they want to enable Translated Conversations. They must select Accept to continue. (Your contact must be using the latest version of Skype.)
4. When your contact accepts the invitation, your instant messages and calls will be translated to your chosen language (which you can select in Settings ->General -> Translation settings -> Spoken language).
In Settings you can customize:
- Spoken Language: This is the language you will be speaking for chatting
- Translation Voice: This is the voice you’ll hear for the translation. You can choose male or female.
Note: So far, our Skype Universal Translator works on 42 Earth languages. No alien languages yet. But, we’re working on it. ;)